Saturday, March 6, 2010

Henrietta (The Letter I Never Wrote)

I put our story idea list to the test this week in class. The question that popped into my head was the "letter" one: "the letter you always wanted to write, but were afraid to send".

Below is Henrietta's response. There's been a lot of things that have moved me in this class, but this is probably at the top. I was so moved I don't even remember if I said anything comprehensible. I had to excuse myself to go get Kleenex right after she finished reading out loud.
 Henrietta Faust
3/4/2010
The Letter I Never Wrote

This is the letter I never wrote and I wish I had; it is a letter of “Thanks” to my writing class, especially our teacher, Mrs. Benita Cooper.

If only she had known that the birthday party she gave for me was the first birthday party anyone ever gave me. Next year I am 65 years old. You read it right, not 6 years, not 5 years. I am 64 years old and it is a long story. I will share my long story later, but this is a thank you letter to all the above.

Words can’t express my gratitude so I will just say, “Thank you one and all. I appreciate all of you at PSC.”
Check out the blog archive (click on February) to read more about Henrietta's Surprise Party; check out our Facebook page to see photos from the special day.