Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Ernestyne

Yet again, two blog posts in a row, content that I am unable to summarize. Thank you, Brenda, for allowing me to post your note publicly. Thank you so much for reaching out to me, and let's keep in touch!

From: Brenda Whiteman
To: Benita Cooper
Sent: Wed, December 8, 2010 10:30 AM
Subject: Thank You from Ernestyne Bush's cousin

Thanks, Benita, for writing about my dear, late cousin Ernestyne Whiteside Bush.  I just read your beautiful blog.  I googled Ernest Whiteside Bush and it popped up.  What a blessing it was for me.  My family and I attended her home going service yesterday at St. Matthews A.ME. Church.  It was a wonderful service.  There were so many warm, spiritually uplifting stories about the bubbly lady  that I called my aunt.  She and my mother were very close, just like sisters.  Aunt Ernestyne was a native of Dothan, Alabama.  As a child, she lived in Chattanooga.  My mother lived for a while in Chattanooga, also.  I am going to send this to my mother, Evelyn Durham, your blog. 

Your story blog about your relationship with your grandmother is so inspirational. I admire the fact that you are an architect and writer.  Keep up the great work!!!     
 -- Brenda Whiteman

From: Benita Cooper
To: Brenda Whiteman
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: Thank You from Ernestyne Bush's cousin

Hi Brenda - I am so sorry for your loss. Despite the sad reason for your writing, what a beautiful, wonderful letter you wrote! In honor of your aunt Ernestyne, I began a new section in the blog sidebar "In Memoriam" (scroll to the bottom and you will see it) - I added her name as well as my own aunt whose passing I mentioned in a blog post last year. I was also going to do a blog post to let readers know about the new section of the blog. I kept thinking about it but I wasn't sure what I should say because I don't want to be overly sad or overly celebratory, and then I realized what you said in your email is so heartwarming and perfect.... would you want me to post some version of your email as the blog post - a sort of public eulogy? I know it's very personal so no pressure if not, but I think readers will really stop to think about their own families and their own lives when they read it. Let me know what you think. Benita

Click Here to read about the first time Ernestyne and I met. It feels like yesterday.